Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Story Of How I Became Vegan


I wanted to give everyone a little insight on how I came to be vegan and why I don't eat alot of tofu or soy products. It's a simply story however at the same time it is a long story but i'll try to keep it simple. Most of my life I had the choice to be vegetarian or not , so growing up I was used to not eating meat. However I only recently went vegan over the past 2 years, I had a choice and I didn't at the same time. 

The reason I say this is in late 2008 I had an serve allergic reaction to antibiotic that sent me to the emergency room and then into ICU burn unit. I was to the point to where I was so dehydrated that my body wouldn't allow me to hold on to water or anything; my whole body was in shock. My hear rate was all over the place really high at one moment then the next really slow, my skin was bright red and peeling off my upper body. I know it sounds surreal, but it isn't I went through something that I wish upon no one. During my time in the ER, I had taken so many test's and had multiple doctors  trying to figure out what was wrong.

Needless to say that night in the ER they put me in the ICU burn unit for overnight watch for multiple things. I remember that they had a rubber maid tub with a cloth and bleach that everyone had to step in first before entering or leaving my room. Then they had to put on gloves and a mask on too upon entering. It was like I was in a movie or something it didn't seem really until they next day. I got discharged the next day since I wasn't in shock anymore and my heart rate went back to normal.

Fast forward a month later, I went back to the doctor's office only to be told that I was allergic to sulfur and that I have SJS "Stevens Johnson Syndrome". That's where I started looking into going vegan because I was told officially allergic to eggs due to the natural recurring sulfur in them. To where if I ate eggs I would be in pain plus might have another serve allergic reaction sending me to the ER again. So I stayed vegetarian but didn't eat eggs or anything with sulfur in it.

Time went on I learned to cope with not eating eggs or anything with sulfur in it, however it wasn't the end to my food allergies. About 6 months later I ended up in the ER again this time it was related to my first time in the ER. I had multiple test ran again but come to find out that I was allergic to milk based products.That was my turning point where I went from vegetarian to vegan, that was where I didn't have the choice to not to be vegan. However I had already had the wanting and the heart to be vegan for animals.

Needless to say if I didn't have my serve allergic reaction, I would have still made the choice to be vegan but probably not so quickly. I do not regret that I am vegan I love and embrace it, and I'm learning new things every day about this life style and diet. Which leads me to why I don't eat tofu or soy products, I'm pretty much allergic to tofu since almost every brand as calcium sulfate or something with sulfate in it. 

Are there any brands of tofu that don't have sulfate in them?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you really went through a lot! I cringed reading all of that. How awful. :(

    I'll keep an eye out on the tofu we buy to see if there's sulfate in them. I have hypothyroidism, so we don't eat soy that often, but I do allow it a few times a week at most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you molly! It will be helpful since I need it for recipes.

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds hellish! Glad to hear some good came out of such a scary experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice color choice on the blog. It is really easy on my eyes and I have bad eyes too so that's a really big compliment lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, I really try to make it easy on the eyes.

      Delete